This Page

has been moved to new address

Day 23 - Underpass

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Elvie's Year in Photos 2011: Day 23 - Underpass

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 23 - Underpass

 Landscapes and birds are my comfort zone when it comes to photography  so I've decided to push myself to do other things. Today I went into Cardiff Civic Centre to try my hand at something more architectural.  I must admit I didn't feel at all inspired and the few photos I took look much the same as hundreds of others I've seen.  Before coming home I walked to this underpass which goes under Kingsway by the castle.  

It was originally the bed of the Brecon to Cardiff canal, in its heyday a major contributor to Cardiff's wealth, by bringing iron & coal down to the docks.  Kingsway was a narrow road in the 19th century and the arched section of the underpass is the original canal bridge, taking the road over the top of the canal. There's a bit of canal machinery at the entrance, I'm not sure what it is exactly .  Now the road is a major artery into town and this part of the canal has been drained.  There's no evidence of the bridge above ground but the stone arched underside has been extended with a reectangular section underpass of modern brickwork.  The inevitable graffiti adorns its walls.  Below is a small pic of the entrance from outside.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gouges on the post in the foreground were apparently made by the horses' tow-ropes as they rounded the quite sharp corner.

As told by Dave Allsobrook on his amazing history tour of central Cardiff - barking, but amazing guy at the Uni. Hil

 
At January 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Mr and Mrs Mogs said...

I'd heard that but they're very narrow notches for tow ropes. Any idea what the metal post with cogs is for?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home